Sunday, June 25, 2006

 

Sporting aside

I have recently had reason to make a greater acquaintance of the fine Andean republic of Ecuador. Although I myself am thoroughly secular, I was nevertheless rather struck by the fact that the nominal confessional profile of this small post-colonial nation is very similar to that of my own state, the Republic of Ireland - 95% Roman Catholic, 5% others.

Well I know this is a trivial sort of a thing, but since sporting events are themselves of no great import there seems nothing wrong with taking such things as a reason for "following" a certain country's representatives - hoping, in so far as one cares at all, that they win - in contests that are otherwise of little or no interest.

At any rate I shall always wish the best of luck to Ecuador in any sporting endeavours I happen to see them take on.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?