Saturday, October 21, 2006

 

Quote, and misquote, of the day

It's a pity, because it was a great quote to be able to refer to, but according to Richard J. Evans' The Coming of the Third ReichHermann Goring never did actually say that "every time I hear the word culture I reach for my gun". The origins of the quote are in a play written for Hitler where one of the characters says:

When I hear "culture", I release the safety catch of my Browning!

On the up side there is this remark from 86-year-old impressionist painter Max Liebermann when, having been deposed by the Nazis from the Prussian Academy of Arts in 1933, was asked how he felt at such an age:
One can't gobble as much up as one would like to puke.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?